Monday, March 27, 2006

Pune goes WiFi

Hi folks….first something about me….myself Vishal Kelkar from Maharashtra.(as I spent my life at different places in Maharashtra) . Working in IT….and one of people in Pune who are happy yet frustrated to be in Pune…

Today I read this news in Sakal, that M.G. Road in Pune is now a WiFi zone. Well kudos to BSNL and PCB for this. Bangalore has many such zones and it really helps for people who have laptops and are on move. One step ahead in becoming a IT enabled city. Now I will not be surprised if many more areas follow the suit. Actually coffee chains like Café Coffee Day or Barista have a good business in this. They can make their outlets as WiFi zone and offer services to their customers….if they want anything more to happen over coffee!!!

I am in Bangalore right now because of my work and been here for last 3 months after spending some time in lovely Zurich! Will get back to Pune in a weeks time hopefully…
And can access web on the street…..well one interesting thought here….what if WiFi is enabled in typical Puneri area like Sadashiv PETH…imagin different kind of notice boards that will appear there….(hint….like “Kripaya Yethe internet access karu naye. Athava kayadeshir(!?) ilaj kela jail”)

11 comments:

pagalsandh said...

nicely written ....

Anonymous said...

That Puneri Paati was awesome!

Anonymous said...

That Puneri Paati was awesome!

Simran said...

Ok, look, I'm Indian, I'm from Pune and I'm pissed off. I think it's great that MG Road is getting WIFI enabled, but that should not be where our money should be going. Our roads are worse than village dirt roads. They need to look at priorities and address issues that matter. We don't have enough electricity. Water is going to start getting cut now that summer is approaching. If this is the way the government is making use of taxpayer's money, I see no reason for anybody to pay taxes any longer.

Medha Purandare said...

I agree with Simran on infrastructural development overdue in Pune without which no Wi-Fi etc.is going to attract IT industries.

I hope security aspect is taken care of reg.WI-FI connections.

More Puneri Pattya in Pune pethas-"Yethe basun internet waprlyas security babat amhi jababdar rahnar nahi"

"Swatala ani aplya laptopla sambhalawe".

"Amchya dukanabaherche bench waprlyas 10/Rs.tashi bhade dyawe lagel".

Puneri creativity never ends.

Nachowski said...

@Simran: Look at it this way: at least they're making use of tax-payers' money is some good way. The reason why we have bad roads isn't because of lack of money; it's because of lazy city officials and inept contractors.

Smaran said...

Well, they might even charge us on top of that. Then what? Then it's just a business like any other and OUR money will be just making THEM profit.

sinatra said...

check this new album on pune called "Amhi Puneri" amhipuneri.blogspot.com

Foodie Jr. said...

It is so cool to see that MG road is wi-fi. I love it!

Gaurav said...

Good ..
Hey You can view my Blog its also Good

Anonymous said...

but. Am not able to use wifi for my nokia n95.
It gets connected. But latter it gives error as timed-out. . . So please help me
Addy