Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Google's googly !!!

Hello,
I got surprised when I read and followed this fwded. mail. Request you to read and comment-

"No wonder so many people say google's search engine can find anything

1- Go to Google (http://www.google.com )

2- Type in the word "Failure"

3- Instead of clicking "Google Search," click "I'm Feeling Lucky."

4- see search results.

5- Spread the word before the people at Google "fix" it.

----------------------

My son commented it as "easter eggs" by google programmer to create some fun. I am still surprised. What about you?

4 comments:

Nachowski said...

No, it isn't an easter egg. It's called a "google-bomb", which is used by blogs and websites to exploit weaknesses in google's pagerank algorithm. Basically, it works by linking to the target page using the search text on various web-sites. Other bombs include: "Miserable Failure", "Unelectable" and "Worst President" which all take you to George W. Bush's Bio.

Here's my favorite: "french military victories". :)

More info here.

Medha Purandare said...

Thanks to enlighten about google bomb concept.
I tried my name on google search and clicked I am feeling lucky button.. first time it took me to my site on freewebs.com and second time now to my this profile page.

Varun said...

@nachowski: I am not all that sure that it really is a 'weakness'. I would consider it the algorithm's strength. After all if many people really think that GWB is a failure it is only appropriate that his bio be the number 1 item in the results...

Nachowski said...

@varun: Well, it's definitely not a weakness when you look at it that way. But, the whole concept behind google bombing was to influence the page-rank of GWB's page by specifically using some terms to link to that page. So you can't really say that it was a measure of popular opinion, since people deliberately added it to their web-page/blog as a meme. As an example, you can see that the second result links to michaelmoore.com.

However, we'll be seeing lesser of that now since google is implementing the rel=nofollow tag for such links.