Sunday, September 25, 2005

The Taj Mahal and Pune Roads...

This is copied from my post in the BetterRoads Yahoo Group.

"When I was in India last year, I visited Delhi, Agra and Rajasthan. I was amazed to see the Taj and other grand buildings. Then we flew from Udaipur to Mumbai and took the expressway to Pune. For a country that gave the Taj to the world, why is building roads that can last, be such a big problem? Clearly Shahajan did not employ contractors from Pune and his administrative managers did not have any connections with politicians of Pune and MahaPalika offices! I think we as Punekars (and Indians) should actually have the power to unelect the elected representatives if they do not perform. The local politicians should be made to report on the progress in their wards (on all issues, not just roads) on the MahaPalika website. What do we as a group think about these ideas? Are there any constitutional experts and lawyers on the list who can evaluate this?"

Regards / Nilesh Kale

3 comments:

Medha Purandare said...

I understand your frustration reg.roads as it affects me too. I think, just as there are some circles,triangles,Udyans,Natyagrahsnamed after somebody e.g.Thorat Udyan,Kumar circle,Garware triangle....and so on in Pune, roads too can be named if they built them. This will privatise road building work, resulting into durable roads making our lives safe and comfortable. Moreover, there will be competition to building stronger roads amongst private parties. How'z idea?

SatishTalim said...

That's a good idea.

Medha Purandare said...

Mah.Govt.,Construction Deptt. has declared 35000 roads will be repaired before Diwali incl.7800 bridges... Source-Zee marathi news.

I think, we are optimistic and possess great patience.